Whether you are a bass player that prefers flat-wound strings or is curious to find out if that classic approach to bass sound is your “thing” or not, the new EBS Flatwound Steel bass strings are worth considering. Made in the USA with premium quality steel, they are comfortable to play, durable, and with the darker and more mellow sound characteristics you want from playing “flats” to achieve that vintage-style bass tone. The EBS Flatwound Steel strings are sold exclusively on our webshop.
Why should I consider flatwound strings from EBS?
Flatwound bass strings offer several benefits that make them a compelling option for many bass players. Here are some suggestions:
- Smooth feel: Flatwound bass strings have a smooth texture that makes them comfortable to play, especially for those who prefer a softer touch or tend to play for extended periods.
- Warm tone: Unlike roundwound or halfwound strings, flatwound bass strings are wound with a flat ribbon wire that produces a warm, mellow tone. This can be especially well-suited for genres such as jazz, blues, or classic rock, where a more subdued bass sound is often desired.
- Longevity: Because of their flat surface, flatwound bass strings tend to last longer than roundwound strings, as they experience less friction and wear. This can save you money in the long run, as you won’t need to replace your strings as frequently.
- Less noise: Flatwound strings produce less finger and fret noise than other types of strings, such as roundwound strings. Although any unwanted noise should be addressed by checking the instrument’s settings and by developing a better playing technique first, this can still be useful in recording situations, as it allows for a cleaner, more professional-sounding recording.
- Versatility: Despite their reputation for producing a warm sound, flatwound bass strings can still be used in a variety of genres. Many modern bass players use flatwound strings to achieve a more vintage or traditional sound, while others use them for their unique playing feel or other properties.
Overall, flatwound bass strings can be a great choice for bass players in many different situations, particularly those who are looking for a warm tone and a smooth playing feel.
The EBS Flatwood Stainless Steel strings are available from the EBS official webshop exclusively. To begin with in a 4-string set only, with the gauges 45, 65, 85, 105.